Wednesday, April 20, 2011

day fourteen.

"University of Pittsburgh. ‡b University Art Gallery" to "Vancouver Art Gallery."

Keith's preservation tour today was maybe my favorite behind-the-scenes treat at the museum so far.  Although his office/workroom/lab is attached to the Archives, I'd never taken a peek at it.  And I think he might have the job I really want:  spending quality time with old stuff.  Well, I guess it's not always old, because the preservation process can start right away, with Keith building special boxes or protective covers for some books as soon as they arrive.  I just love the hands-on aspect of the work that I do with the vertical file materials—and if I were cataloging new materials I might not like it at all!  I don't know.  But I love all the book binding tools and rolls of fabric and paper and neat stacks of boxes and the way all of the flat file drawers are labeled and so organized....  I don't think he even has a computer in there.

Hours worked:  9-5pm.
Records created:  26.

No comments:

Post a Comment